Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Post 6

The Networked Student
I watched this video intently. I think that this idea is a lot like the way EDM310 is structured. I am a hands on people person. This format could be great for those students who work well on their own and do not require extra instruction. This format would be more useful (i think)in the high school or university level than lower levels as it would require a lot of dedication and focus that a younger student may find trying.
I think in any situation a student needs a teacher. As I mentioned in an earlier post students have enormous amounts of information available to them at any time. Teachers can assist these students in learning how to process,analyze,validate and utilize all this information. Teachers can help students navigate their way through the maze of the world wide web. They need to be able to understand how to differentiate between fact and opinion and how to tell if the facts are being skewed to represent the writers point of view. Who will a student ask if he thinks a piece of information is wrong or being misrepresented? Google? No, his teachers!!!

7th Grader's PLN
After Watching the video on PLN's like symbaloo, I really like the way it is being implemented here. Encouraging students to verify the info they gather and ask others if they are correct. this a a good way to teach kids how to write well. This I must say, is not a skill I learned before I got to the university level. Sure I could put together a sentence but write a solid paper? No. This teaches them how to find quote and properly cite it as well. I like that they can put it all in one place in neat organized folders. As a very UNorganized person this is great. Never lose an assignment again!! Imagine that.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Chris

    I agree with you that this type of teaching can be good for some, such as higher level or an independent kind of learner. I am the opposite was though as well. I usually need a teacher to be there show me something and then me try it but them still be there just in case of some help. Instead of doing in all only our own or on the web.

    "Who will a student ask if he thinks a piece of information is wrong or being misrepresented? Google? No, his teachers!!!" I agree 10000%

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baldwin County is now ephasizing the use of challenge based, project-based and problem-based learning strategies at all grade levels. These efforts are similar to the networked student's approach to learning except the approaches vary according to grade. So get ready to be a Networked Teacher! Baldwin County will be a great place to be a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chris,
    "I am a hands on people person. This format could be great for those students who work well on their own and do not require extra instruction." I agree completely with this statement. EDM310 is a great class it challenges you to learn in a different way. I am more of a hands on person myself. THe information in your atrical is correct. I would try to add more pictures, and link tothe videos. Good luck this semester.

    ReplyDelete