Friday, April 5, 2013

Post 11

I enjoyed watching Ms. Cassidy's students explain how they use technology in the classroom. I like her ideas on teaching them good "digital citizenship." I think before using the computer every child should learn some digital etiquette. They should know ways to keep themselves safe and places that are appropriate. Also as she said in her interview, depending upon their age, what to do if they feel they've reached a site or game that is not appropriate or if they feel they are compromised in any way. These are very important and would be a must in my classroom.

I like the idea of the students blog being their "portfolio." I like that she uses the class blog for links to games and activities that are appropriate for the lessons at hand. I like the class blog in that student always have access to the homework assignments they can go and get enrichment through games and other links. I hope I can implement a class blog or web page as useful and extended as hers. I like that she collaborated with other teacher from the same grade level. I really think that being able to see and hear what other kids from other place are doing could really be a draw for kids. In that, they can comment as well as receive comments from other kids and adults too.

Technology is all around us and our student we must keep up or get left behind. Kids are smart and soak up anything we teach. So as with anything we do with them, when using technology and the internet, we set rules and boundaries and expect them to abide by them. When and if those rules are broken or boundaries crossed there will be consequences like no free time to play games. Kids are smart they know whats right from wrong and most will follow the rules we set for them.

3 comments:

  1. "Kid are smart and soak up..." "Kid are smart they know whats right..." Kids, not Kid (2 times); what's, not whats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I missed that twice. That kind of thing really irks me. Thanks for pointing it out.

      Delete
  2. Chris, I enjoyed reading your blog. I agree, all students should learn digital etiquette, and so should all adults. I think technology safety is probably a worry for many parents. I found this out through my research for blog post 12. Your last paragraph summed up our role as future educators, with anything, we have to set rules. Good blog.

    Phillip

    ReplyDelete